Feeling the urge to eat something sweet? Having a snack attack? How about reaching for a handful of raisins to satisfy that sweet tooth? Raisins are a great healthy substitute for candy or other kinds of “junk food.”
Raisins are made from dehydrated grapes; hence the nutrients become more concentrated in raisins. Let’s take a look at some of the benefits of eating raisins:
1. A small box of raisins contains 34 grams of carbohydrates which make them a good source of instant energy.
2. Raisins are very effective in promoting bowel health. Eating fiber-packed raisins on a regular basis can help keep you, well, regular!
3. Eating raisins curbs the growth of harmful bacteria in the mouth and helps prevent cavities, gingivitis and tooth decay. If you have a sweet tooth, pop healthy raisins instead of teeth-damaging candy.
4. Raisins contain a good amount of potassium and magnesium, two power minerals known to help lower blood pressure and reduce cholesterol.
5. Raisins are a good source of calcium, the mineral that contributes to building and maintaining strong bones and protects against osteoporosis.
6. Eating dried grapes helps prevent and treat arthritis and kidney stones.
7. Raisins contain elements that have anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that protects body against infection.
8. The presence of polyphenolic phytonutrients in raisins benefit your vision. These powerful plant chemicals offer protection against macular degeneration, and cataracts.
9. Raisins are a rich source of iron; a mineral that is essential for the production of hemoglobin in the body. People suffering from deficiency i.e. anemia can benefit from raisin’s high iron content.
10. People who are underweight can benefit from eating raisins often to add healthy calories to the diet.
Raisins make for a quick and easy way to snack better. They are sweet, delicious and spectacularly healthy for your body. Next time you want a snack do your body a favor and reach for that little box of raisins.